Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inaugural Fashion Redux

Just as the Oscars are the undisputed sartorial hot ticket in my little Southern California bubble, I recently heard that there's a competing fashion extravaganza on the other coast called "The Inauguration." What's more, it only happens every four years! I decided I had to investigate. Here are some of my findings:

Mrs. Lincoln
Mary Todd, NO!!! Not only is this dress awful, but Harriet Lane already wore it!

See?

Mrs. Roosevelt

Though she was not considered a conventional beauty, the lady could pull it together. While this dress is not as body conscious as the gowns we are now accustomed to seeing, I find it extremely elegant.

Mrs. Kennedy

Duh. The gloves, the hair, the debutante-like manner in which she lifts her skirt to step onto the snowy pavement as courtiers shield her from the weather with their umbrellas. American princess.

Mrs. Nixon

Beaded bolero jackets provoke a range of feelings in me, from rage to helpless indifference.

Mrs. Carter

Oh Roz. Are you kidding?

Mrs. Reagan

I realize it's dated, yes, insert Dynasty joke here. But I still sort of love this dress, with its sweet little California grapevine reference.

Mrs. Bush

I love the deep, saturated color, but it's basically a burqa.

And finally:


Mr. President - love the tie. Nothing says "consensus builder" like flying the opposing party's colors.

Sasha - Cutie McDarlington. Malia - Very lovely, but emitting the wary, brooding vibe that forecasts a future tell-all author.

Ms. O. - You know I love the adventurous Ms. O. I think she's divine. I'm really struggling with this particular outfit, though. I can get on board with most of what's happening - the pea soup gloves and the embellished dress, coat and scarf in cheerful shades of goldenrod, but what's going on with those shoes? Was the lighting bad in her dressing area? They. Do. Not. Go. Would I be more comfortable with those shoes if she'd left the clashing gloves at home? Perhaps, but I don't think so. The gloves are a yellow green, so they work. The shoes, on the other hand, are a deep, sequoia-like blue green - clashtacular. Let's hope she has something seriously fabulous on tap for the formal drinky-dancey action this evening.

4 comments:

  1. I cackled uproariously. This was great.

    But I must insert one thing that no one seems to get anymore:

    A black suit is almost NEVER appropriate. Sorry Barack. Dark charcoal would have been better.

    Black suits are for these occasions:

    1. A funeral
    2. A black tie optional affair
    3. Any gathering amongst fellow mafiosi

    They are not for business. They are not for daytime. You really shouldn't even own one because you can get away with charcoal at a funeral and if you're going to a BTO event just wear the goddamn tux.

    Okay there's my rant.

    Loved the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would argue that the frumpy Hillary Clinton skirt suit is equally prevalent among women in Washington as the black suit is among men. They are also equally fashionable, i.e. not at all (much like not reading blogs).

    I would readily sacrifice up to three civil liberties if Barack would invest in some charcoal, grey, and navy suits. Or he could just Google image search JFK and dress like that.

    *I also do not approve of his white tie business at the inaugural balls but I'll wait for Lalee's next blog to elaborate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure my last comment had Chris dashing to the wastebasket with an armload of his black suits, but before he tosses them out he should try calming them down with these tricks:

    http://www.esquire.com/style/black-clothing-0808

    Also, I found this from GQ which I think is funny:



    Q: How many times should one wear a black suit in a week? Should you wear a black suit just once during a workweek?

    A: If I wore a suit to work every day, I would probably wear a black suit to work on days when I was also attending a funeral. This is a matter of taste. There are many people, even nonclergy, who wear black regularly or even exclusively. In the late ’80s and early ’90s, there was a sort of black fashion cult. The Japanese may have had something to do with it, but I think they look particularly good in black. I don’t favor daytime black, because I don’t want to be addressed as Father except by my kids. I do, however, think it’s most appropriate for evening, with a white shirt or even a black shirt. I think dark gray is the daytime black.

    -GQ, July 2003

    ReplyDelete
  4. He must just like the quirkiness of it, which is cute. In that case you should do what my grandmother and mother do and that is to totally dictate everything he ever wears.

    If you're good at it he won't even know you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete