Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Reader Questions: Ms. O

Wonderful Daily Lalee reader Michelle asks:

"Being the expert on etiquette and fashion that you are, was wondering how you'd weigh in on this . . . "

Well Michelle, first of all, flattery will get you everywhere. I am only too glad to share my thoughts on Ms. O's sleevelessness.

I think it's just fine. And in light of the fact that Ms. O has lovely, sculpted arms with tiny delicate bitty bird wrists, I'd say it's even more than just fine.

I know it's not exactly a winter look, but how many more decades do we have to pretend we don't have central heating? Maybe it's because I'm an Angeleno, but I'm hard pressed to think of an occasion when a sleeveless dress would be inappropriate, other than a court appearance, a very religious wedding, or an audience with the Pope.

I think the doyennes of Washington "fashion" who are critical of Ms. O's sleeveless looks should get some perspective. Isn't it better to have the first lady in a beautiful, well designed, fashion forward dress that pushes the envelope, than to have her in a perfectly hideous skirt suit that meets all of your standards of decorum? No? See, that's why you're a Washington fashion expert, and not a New York, Los Angeles, Milan, London or Paris fashion expert. Pseurry.

Furthermore, I'd like to remind those squawking partridges that sleeveless dresses at ceremonial occasions have suited several first ladies just fine:
Mary Todd Lincoln


Eleanor Roosevelt


Nancy Reagan

Believe me, I'm the first one to slam the brakes on someone who's breaching decorum. I just didn't see that here. I saw a fit, attractive woman in a very professional looking, well made dress that would've been suitable for a business meeting in most companies around the world. If it had been strapless, or cut from a clingy, diaphonous fabric, we'd clearly have a problem. But it wasn't. Now, if Ms. O decided to wear a beautiful, tailored jacket next time to quell the haters, I certainly wouldn't mind. But I don't think it's necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I COLed at this part:

    "See, that's why you're a Washington fashion expert, and not a New York, Los Angeles, Milan, London or Paris fashion expert. Pseurry."

    Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well thank you for such a thorough response! see how I continue with the flattery?

    ReplyDelete