Saturday, June 6, 2009

Resort 2010

Ah, it's resort season.  The resort shows were originally meant for rich people who were looking to buy chic, casual clothing that traveled well to take on their summer trips.  It's become a delightful interlude of ready-to-wearishness tucked between the fall and spring shows.  Resort wear is typically just as it sounds - casual, comfortable, colorful.  Let's begin with a couple of ladies whose resort collections are, in my opinion, a big improvement over their fall collections.

Diane von Furstenberg

DVF is known for her fabulous taste in prints, and I believe her 2010 Resort collection is a return to form:




With some notable exceptions:



Some of my favorites from this collection included a sassy cocktail dress:


And a delightful pool cover-up:



Carolina Herrera

Ms. Herrera's fall collection was a very stiff, heavy, drab affair.  There's much more levity in the resort items, and these are some of my special favorites:





While I've very fond of the orange, I think it's better suited to darker skinned ladies, such as Sessilee Lopez, who is swiftly becoming one of my favorite models.


The less successful looks in the collection were, in my opinion, the ones that veered into the geriatric.  I hate the shiny fabric on the left, and as for the look on the right, it's a little too "brunch at the club."  Furthermore, I think lace, like facial hair, is almost always a bad idea.

2 comments:

  1. Is it just me, or is it hard to focus on the dresses in DVF's collection with those flagrant bows on the models' heads?

    Welcome back Lalee!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God DVF has redeemed herself.

    Her last collection was bogus.

    Bogus, darling.

    ReplyDelete